Thursday, April 14, 2011

The most thoughtful gift I have EVER received!

Yesterday I received a surprise package in the mail...It is the nicest, most thoughtful gift I have EVER received! I thought what could this be?   I enjoy participating in quilt swaps on an online group called flickr.  Sometimes we swap quilt blocks, other times we swap mini quilts.  Well I had been looking forward to a special swap group (DQS10) since the fall and was so excited to sign up for it but, soon realized I was overwhelmed with adoption paperwork and that I needed to drop out of the swap. :(
Back to the package.....I opened it to find this quilt that is a amazing work of art made by a online flickr friend (Angela -Twee) that I knew online but I have NEVER met in person. I just cried and cried when I read the card she enclosed saying how she had wanted to make this quilt for me even though I had to drop out of the swap....It is her special interpretation of our adoption journey. 

An excerpt from her card:
"This quilt is my humble interpretation of your adoption journey to bring home your sweet Charlotte Rose.  I am not sure if you know, but we really struggled for 6 years to conceive our daughter.  As a result, we are profoundly aware of the call to adopt.  We have  many close friends who have done international adoptions.  I am intimately aware of the hardships and intense joy that comes with the adoption process.  So I hope this quilt bring you a little joy and hope as you wait to finally hold your sweet girl."

It is the most amazing thing I have EVER seen and it will always be treasured.   These pictures don't even do it justice....it is a amazing piece. I think it is going to have a special place on the wall in Charlottes room. :)
Also from the card:  "The quilt is entitled "The Rescuers".  There are 3 sailor boys rescuing the little girl on the lily pad, all in a far away land.  The sailors represent your three sons off on an adventure to bring home their little sister."
(You can click on the pictures to make them larger)


Close up of the 3 sailors.  The boys immediately and unanimously claimed which sailor was who.  :)  Will is on the far left looking out, Drew is the one praying in the front and Ben is sitting down in the boat for safety.


A close up of Charlotte Rose...


A close up of China in the distance.


If you have a chance, please go and check out Angelas blog.  She is such an amazingly creative quilter and has had many of her ideas published in magazines.  http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/   It has been such a treat getting to know Angela (who lives in Louisiana) as well as other quilters from literally all over the world through flickr. 

Angela, I really don't know how I can ever thank you adequately.  I am such a sentimental freak and this is just so very special to me.  You definitely gave me hope and joy that one day soon we will have Charlotte in our arms and she will hear the story of this very special quilt you created just for her.
Much Love! Kendra

4 comments:

Angela said...

It was my honor to make this for you Kendra! I'm so happy that you and your family are enjoying the quilt!

Kelly said...

Wow! That is STUNNING!!!! What a treasured gift!

Cindy Sharp said...

It's perfect. Can't wait to see Miss Charlotte in your arms surrounded by the boys!

Amy said...

That is an amazing gift. Your daughter is beautiful. We are also waiting on our dossier to be finished. ALMOST :) Can't wait to see Charlotte in your arms.

Post a Comment